Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Well, we've relocated but there is still so much work to be done!

The house was left fully furnished after my great-grandmother passed and family would use the house when they were in from out of town. Cabinets were still full-everything from bedding to china and toiletries to dry goods. The children and grandchildren took what they wanted and I've been going through what was left, keeping some things and donating others.

What will be my studio is packed full with furniture my great-grandparents had and will go to my aunt's cabin in Colorado at some point. I'm looking forward to getting it set up and hope that it won't be long before I can start working again. I have big plans for it!

I was thrilled to find that 2 of great-grandma's crochet afghans, along with a few doilies, remained. I plan to hang the afghans in my studio and display the doilies in the house. I know grandma hadn't crocheted the last few years of her life due to osteoarthritis but I was a little sad to find that she hadn't held on to her hooks and even more sad to realize she admitted to herself that she could no longer do it. I know that was something that was hard for her to do.

I remember coming to visit one day, finding her outside holding on to her walker for dear life, while trying to bend over and pull the weeds that had begun to grow around her beloved rose bushes. I was so upset with her! I reminded her that she had plenty of family around who were always happy to help her. She told me, "Mi hita (sp?), I will do it until I fall over and crack my head!" She was one strong, stubborn woman who wasn't willing to give up even hard work.

My great-grandfather Ignacio passed 16 years before grandma did. I am thankful that I had the first 19 years of my life to know him. He probably seemed a little frightening to most because of his gruff voice and permanent frown. He was all of 5'6" and 95lbs but he still scared me a little even though I loved him to death and knew better than to be afraid of him. He'd catch me sneaking into the candy jar and would loudly say in his deep husky voice, "Ahn-he-lena! What are you doing in the candy jar? You don't like candy!"

Grandpa would spend his days squatting in his chili garden, coming in only to have a bowl of chili and a tortilla or freshly baked bread. He had a good size lot, behind the garage, reserved for his chili plants. Even with emphysema he'd spend the whole day working away, and, I'm afraid, sneaking a cigarette or two. Grandma caught him though. She just happened to glance out the back window and saw a plume of smoke coming from what looked like the roof of the garage. Poor thing thought the garage was on fire so she ran to the back to tell grandpa and discovered he was the source.

They were quite a couple. I miss them dearly and think of them daily. I know my grandma used to hear grandpa talking to her because I'd walk in and catch her talking back to him. She was never really alone in this house and I hope that they both are here with us.

Now I just need to find that candy jar! I'm sure I'll hear from grandpa if I do.
Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter